- 1 small onion diced ( I use a red onion for a sweet flavour and contrast in colour)
- 1 stick celery , finely diced
- 200 g \ 250g risotto rice
- a good splash of white wine
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 200g chestnut mushrooms
- a few sprigs fresh parsley , leaves picked and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of dairy free butter
- extra virgin olive oil
- 700 ml of vegetable stock , hot
- 4 \ 5 stems of asparagus
- toasted Sesame Seed oil , 2 teaspoons
- Heat olive / vegetable oil in a pan over a medium-low heat, add the onion, celery and a bit of water, cook for 5 minutes, or until softened .
- In a separate pan fry the chestnut mushrooms, I used 200g of mushrooms, nothing worse that ordering a mushroom risotto and only getting 2 mushrooms ! The more the better, to make this recipe a bit more ‘fancy’ use porcini mushrooms…
- Bring 800ml of water to the boil in a medium pan, add the stock cube or pot and stir to dissolve. Keep over a low heat.
Place another pan over a medium heat with a drizzle of oil, then add the garlic, mushrooms and a small pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Cook gently for a few minutes, or until softened.
- Once the vegetables are soft, stir in the rice and and fry for 1 minute until translucent. Make sure each grain of rice is coated in oil before adding any of the stock , a trick / tip I learnt at the restaurant .
- Turn the heat up to medium, then add a ladleful of hot stock , Keep stirring and adding stock, a ladle at a time, waiting for the rice to soak it all up before adding the next ladleful. Continue until you’ve added two-thirds of the stock.
- In a separate pan (yes I know we are using a lot of pans, but trust me the outcome and taste is worth it !) fry the asparagus in toasted sesame seed oil.
Once the Risotto has absorbed all the flavour of the stock and is cooked, stir in the cooked mushrooms, add the butter and wine, stir and cook for a minute or so, then before serving add chopped parsley. Place the cooked asparagus over the top of the Risotto and hey presto – Risotto for dinner .