An Ethiopian Themed Starter: Tantalising dishes served with Injera – a pancake made from Teff flour used traditionally as cutlery and as a plate, a fun creative way to serve food.
Okie Dokie, this is a rather tricky but incredibly rewarding dish to make. There are many factors and flavours to this, however if you stick to the recipe the outcome is delicious.
Lets get started
100% Teff Flour Is gluten-free
- 1/4 cup teff flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- Veg / peanut oil
To make the injera pancake you can use many different recipes, this one requires no fermentation and therefore can be made the night before and left in a container ready to be used at a moments notice.
- Add all ingredients as listed into a bowl and mix thoroughly
- Using a tsp of vegetable or peanut oil in the centre of the frying pan ladle in 1/3 cup of the mixture and cook until it bubbles in the centre and slightly lifts at the edges.
- We all have our pancake tips for cooking, for me – use what is comfortable, I usually use a spatula to lift the pancake up and flip it over , cook evenly on both sides.
- 1 cup green lentil
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 green chilli
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Azifa is a Lentil Salad that is traditionally served cold, you can use a pack of pre cooked lentils or you can cook them in a saucepan.
- Place the lentils in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 45 minutes until soft, drain, then turn into a bowl and mash lightly with a potato masher.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Chill before serving as an accompaniment to a meat or fish dish.
- Pack of Green Beans, washed and trimmed
- Equal portions of carrots trimmed and cut to similar size
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
Fasolia is a simple dish packed full of flavour and depth.
- Blanch the green beans and carrots , blanching softens the vegetable but keeps its bright vibrant colour.
- Toss the beans and carrots with the turmeric and Ginger and lightly fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add Garlic to taste
- 1/4 Cup of Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup of Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 8 ounces small beets – roasted and peeled
- 3 skinned potatoes , boiled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Parsley Garnished
Prepare beets and potatoes, toss with rest of ingredients and roast at 190*C for 30 mins
Add parsley for garnish and serve with Injera.
- Cut Tofu into 1/2 inch cubes , coat in dry rub (Berbere)
- Place on baking tray and cook for 30 mins, 190*C turning after 15 mins.
Usually this dish would be served using chicken or beef, however as we are going all Vegan, I decided to use Tofu, you could also use seitan for this recipe.
Berbere is a chile and spice blend used to season many Ethiopian dishes.
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek
- 1/2 cup ground dried New Mexico chiles
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Finely grind fenugreek seeds in an electric coffee/spice grinder. Stir together with remaining ingredients until combined well.